Counselling is a special kind of conversation that can help you find answers, healing and change, and can benefit you when what is troubling you: feels too much, has been going on too long or gets in the way of everyday life.
Just a few of the many benefits from having counselling. A full list of specific difficulties is further down the page.
- Untangle and be able to identify individual feelings.
- Understand and change the patterns which keep you going to anger, anxiety, panic, OCD or depression.
- Confidence to express thoughts and feelings without feeling shame or embarrassment.
- Get rid of the inner critical voice that limits you and tells you that you are less than you are.
- Learn how to contain and mange difficult feelings so you can respond and not react.
- Heal past trauma, and helping you come to terms with past events, so they don’t interfere with your current quality of life.
- Understand and change the patterns which lead you to harmful and unhelpful behaviours.
- Find answers to problems by gaining new perspectives.
About Integrative counselling
Over the years I’ve learnt no one model of counselling or psychotherapy suits everyone. As an Integrative therapist I draw from a comprehensive range of therapeutic models and blend them in ways that work for your needs, and make sense to you.
For those of you who would like more detail about the different therapies: click here.
I will work with you in ways which go beyond addressing symptoms and which, empower you with the ability to understand the underlying causes of your difficulties and what is going on to keep you stuck. And to develop new ways which, enable you to feel comfortable, make the lasting changes you came for and know how to keep well long term.
We make the changes you want in the room. When you take these into your daily life they not only give you powerful tools to mange but can become a natural part of who you are, adding to the existing qualities you already like about yourself.
Also you won’t find me a blank canvas as I am fully involved, and when you don’t know where to start or what to say, I will guide you, ensuring you can make the most of your session.
I will also share ideas, new techniques and strategies which you can use between sessions to help speed up therapy.
A Whole Psychological approach
My approach is to help you understand and bring change to the underlying causes and not simply address your symptoms, otherwise it is like taking a pill to cure a headache, As my approach is to effect change at the thinking, feeling and behavioural levels this will also help 5 core areas, regardless of the reason you have come for therapy.
- Your needs: The ability to understand your own feelings and deeper needs and be able to take action to meet them.
- Effective communication: The ability and freedom to express yourself and who you are without shame, embarrassment or aggression.
- Self confidence: To look in the mirror and like and value who you are without thinking others are better than you.
- Resilience: The ability to stay well, understand and contain feelings when life is difficult.
- Relationships: With yourself, you’r past, experiences and others.
Some of the difficulties I regularly help with:
- Relationship difficulties (when you struggle in a relationship or to maintain one)
- Anxiety/ constant worry and Generalized anxiety disorder.
- Negative / critical thinking
- Feeling unsafe or weak for showing emotions
- Depression / sadness
- Poor self- image / not feeling good enough
- Panic attacks
- Phobias /OCD
- Instinctive people pleasing
- Anger/ over reacting
- Issues from childhood
- Self -harm
- Bereavement and the pain of loss
- Trauma & PTSD (physical, emotional and sexual)
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- ADHD, Asperger’s
- Parenting issues
- Sexual difficulties